NVIDIA Omniverse Create 2021.3 is now available in open beta, delivering a new set of features for Omniverse artists, designers, developers, and engineers to enhance graphics and content creation workflows.
We sat down with Frank DeLise, Senior Director of Product Management for Omniverse, to get a tour of some of the exciting new features. Get an overview through the clips or view the entirety of the livestream here.
A Beginner’s Look at Omniverse
Let’s start with a quick overview of the Omniverse Platform.
Introduction to Omniverse Create
NVIDIA Omniverse Create is an app that allows users to assemble, light, simulate, and render large-scale scenes. It is built using NVIDIA Omniverse Kit, and the scene description and in-memory model is based on Pixar’s USD.
Omniverse Create can be used on its own or as a companion application alongside popular content creation tools in a connected, collaborative workflow. Omniverse Connectors, or plug-ins to applications, can provide real-time, synchronized feedback. Being an extra viewport with physically accurate path tracing and physics simulation, greatly increases any creative and design workflow.
Zero Gravity Mode, powered by PhysX 5
Frank shows us Zero Gravity, a physics-based manipulation tool built to make scene composition intuitive for creators. With physics interactions based on NVIDIA PhysX 5, users can now nudge, slide, bump, and push objects into position with no interpenetration. Zero Gravity easily makes objects solid, making precise positioning, scattering and grouping of objects a breeze.
Features to Simplify Workflows
Next on our tour is a trio of features:
- Browser Extension: A new set of windows were added for easy browsing of assets, textures, materials, samples, and more.
- Paint Scattering: Users can select assets and randomly scatter using a paint brush. The ability to flood fill areas with percentage ratios makes it easy to create lifelike environments with realistic variety.
- Quick Search: Users can now search for anything with Create, including connected libraries, functions, and tools, by simply typing the name. Quick Search also uses skills to provide contextual suggestions, like suggesting an HDRI map after you place a dome light. It’s a highly extensible system and can be enhanced through AI integration.
Sun Study Simulations
Omniverse users can further explore lighting options with the Sun Study extension, which offers a quick way to review a model with accurate sunlight. When the Sun Study Timeline is invoked, it will appear on the bottom of the viewport and allow the user to “scrub” or “play” through a given day/night cycle. It even includes dynamic skies with animated clouds for added realism.
Animation and Sequencer
Animation gets a massive push forward with the addition of a sequencer and key framer.
The new sequencer enables users to assemble animations through clips, easily cut from one camera to another, apply motion data to characters, and add a soundtrack or sound effects.
The key framer extension provides a user-friendly way of adding keyframes and animations to prims in your scenes.
UsdShade Graphic Editor for Material Definition Language (MDL)
New with Create 2021.3 is the UsdShade graph editor for Material Definition Language (MDL) materials. Provided with the Material Graph is a comprehensive list of MDL BSDFs and functions. Materials and functions are represented as drag and droppable nodes in the Material Graph Node List. Now, you can easily create custom materials by connecting shading nodes together and storing them in USD.
OpenVDB Support, Accelerated by NanoVDB
Support for OpenVDB volumes has also been added, making use of NanoVDB for acceleration. This feature helps artists visualize volumetric data created with applications like SideFX Houdini or Autodesk Bifrost.
What is Omniverse Create versus Omniverse View?
Lastly, Frank finishes our tour with an explanation of Omniverse View compared to Omniverse Create.
To learn more, look at the new features in Omniverse View 2021.3.
- Watch the full recording for coverage of additional features including installation using the launcher, USDZ and point cloud support, version control, Iray rendering, payloads, and more!
- You can get more details about the latest Create and View apps by reading the release notes in our online documentation:
- Download the Omniverse Open Beta today and explore these new features!
- Join us live on Twitch for interactive answers to your questions.
- Visit our forums or Discord server to discuss features or seek assistance.
- Binge watch our tutorials for a deep dive into Omniverse Create and Omniverse View.