NVIDIA CUDA Profiling Tools Interface (CUPTI) - CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 2
The NVIDIA® CUDA Profiling Tools Interface (CUPTI) is a dynamic library that enables the creation of profiling and tracing tools that target CUDA applications. CUPTI provides a set of APIs targeted at ISVs creating profilers and other performance optimization tools:
- the Activity API,
- the Callback API,
- the Event API,
- the Metric API, and
- the Profiler API
Using these CUPTI APIs, independent software developers can create profiling tools that provide low and deterministic profiling overhead on the target system, while giving insight into the CPU and GPU behavior of CUDA applications. Normally packaged with the CUDA Toolkit, this stand-alone version of CUPTI provides improvements and bug fixes between toolkit releases.
- Trace CUDA API usage by registering callbacks for API calls of interest
- Full support for entry and exit points in the CUDA C Runtime (CUDART) and CUDA Driver
- Sample hardware and software event counters, including:
- Instruction count and throughput
- Memory load/store events and throughput
- Cache hits/misses
- Branches and divergent branches
- Many more
- Enables automated bottleneck identification based on metrics such as instruction throughput, memory throughput, and more
- Normalized timestamps for CPU and GPU events
As part of the CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 2 release,
- The CUPTI API focused on bug fixes and stability.
- Note that a security vulnerability issue required that the driver, by default, disable profiling tools' features for non-root or non-admin users. As a result, access to performance counters must be enabled before CUPTI can be used to profile the application when using a Windows 419.17 or Linux 418.43 or later drivers. More details about the issue and the solutions can be found on this web page.
- Linux x86_64
- Windows x86_64
- Linux PowerPC
- DRIVE OS QNX aarch64
- DRIVE OS Linux aarch64
- Android aarch64
 available in the Embedded or Drive toolkits only
 does not support Profiling API data collection
Supported GPU architectures
- Activity and Callback APIs
- All architectures supported by CUDA Toolkit
- Event and Metric APIs
- Profiling APIs
- Volta: GV100
- CUPTI can be found in the CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 2 production release
- Please use the 426.00 drivers provided with CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 2 production release or a more recent version.
To provide feedback, request additional features, or report issues, please use the Developer Forums.
When installing CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 2 and specifying options, be sure to select CUDA > Development > Tools > CUPTI.